2022 Symposium - Astronomers for Planet Earth
Astronomers for Planet Earth (A4E) is an international grass-roots movement of astronomy scientists, educators, students, and amateurs working to address the climate crisis from an astronomical perspective. This is a fully virtual symposium, with which we want to provide a perspective on sustainability from experts in the field as well as offer a platform for discussion regarding this extremely important topic. The symposium covers half days from Monday, 28 November, through Friday, 2 December, covering all time zones.
Our goal is to grow and strengthen the A4E community and define concrete actions and goals for the next year -- so we need you! All people related to astronomy and interested in sustainability are warmly invited to register for this event and take part in the process. We need everyone that is willing to step up and take action for a more sustainable future.
What to expect:
- On Monday and Friday, we will have a global live plenary opening and closing session via zoom, see timetable.
- At any time, watch recorded talks and contributions from experts in the field on these topics:
- Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday we have two session for Q&A and discussion on each topic held in Gathertown. Session A should be at a convenient time for people connecting from Oceania/Asia and Session B for North/South America. Folks connecting from Europe/Africa are welcome to attend either or both.
- On Tuesday we are going to host a panel discussion on sustainability amongst representatives of large astronomical consortia, see here.
- Four workshops on special topics individually organized by participants, see program.